Studies have shown that women who wear make-up to work are more likely to get promoted. Well if that isn’t a worthy reason to flaunt a sultry eye, I just don’t know what is. Let me introduce you to my signature corporate-proof look: a subtle smokey eye.
As an artificial Blondie in a corporate financial services world full of serious men, I feel the urge to proof the opposite of the stereotype verdict. Looking competent and professional is incredibly important. Although that might mean putting down the glittery eyeliner, it doesn’t have to mean barefaced beauty.
Here are my ground rules for a workplace safe look:
- It has to stand the test of time; you don’t want to have to keep retouching your look when you have to dash from meeting to meeting.
- It has to be low-maintenance and easy enough to be able to complete in a rush. Some people might be willing to spend 45 minutes putting on their face in the morning, but I’d rather spend an extra 30 minutes in bed. 15 minutes is the max!
- It should enhance, and not hide who you are.
- It shouldn’t be distracting. I’ve got a prejudice to dismantle so I want people to listen to what I have to say, instead of being mesmerized as the girl that looks like she didn’t remove last night’s make-up.
- It should make me feel comfortable. If I’m busy stressing over my cat eyeliner, how can I ever concentrate on that spreadsheet?!
Here’s my morning ritual to create these sultry corporate environment proof eyes. Flaunt it!
What is your signature office look?